Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Some Drivel :: Recording :: Nothing too exciting

A few observations.

April Fool's Day

 Days that are typically a tad annoying and/or stressful are made more annoying ten-fold with the advent of social media and the fact that almost every individual given an automatic soapbox platform. This past Election Day was horrific. I was traveling for work, on about 4 hours sleep, slightly hungover, and by 10am I wanted to drill nails into my eyeballs. All parties guilty.

This past April Fool's Day was a weird one. It really seems to anger a lot of folks, and I can understand. Almost every dumb chick will now do the "I'm pregnant! Tee-Hee!" or put up a picture of an ultrasound with no caption (not like I ever did that...oh, wait...) and unfortunately some practical jokers go way beyond the boundaries of good taste. However, the hand-wringing on this past one was particularly strange to me. It almost seemed to rival Valentine's Day as far as the outpouring of complaining and bitchiness on social media. Nobody really gets the chance to be original anymore since we all know and have access to everything. It's unfortunate, really, I enjoy a good practical joke every now and then. Another example of the retarded apples ruining it for the whole bunch, I guess.

So I announced that I was officially Justin Bieber's drummer, which I felt was timely, due to his recent outbursts in the media and my recent odd enjoyment of defending the kid, since it seems like every "real" musician thinks they're clever and hilarious dogging on him. Lo and behold, a few folks seemed to fall for it. That made me giggle.

In any event, I scream and talk and write until my face turns blue and am still largely misunderstood, so, I'm used to it.

More LA Driving Rants

Last night I made the 2-hour trek to my guitar player's house in downtown LA. 2 hours, for 39 miles, mind you, and this is "normal". I expected the worst, loaded up on recent podcasts, and headed down. The rush hour traffic and mind-fuck of parking down there was slightly traumatizing in and of itself, but the important thing is that I made it in a reasonable amount of time and miraculously found a place to park without being screamed at by a roided-out cocaine man in a windbreaker. 

However, the drive home was the first time I noticed that 98% of drivers on the road are either drunk, high, completely insane, retarded, or a fine combination of all four. I was looking forward to cruising on home on a relatively empty highway back home in about 40 minutes. Thankfully I made it back in about 40 minutes, but not without feeling I was going to get hit and/or die every 5 minutes.

I was going 80; in the lane next to the fast lane. I'm actually ok with the speed limit being raised to 75. Cars are made better now and going 80 doesn't feel anything like it used to be hitting 90 in your piece-of-shit 1982 Honda Civic where you were convinced the thing was going to violently shake apart.

However, 89% of folks on the road were doing about 90-95 and swerving, going in and out of lanes (totally unnecessary on a wide-open freeway). I almost got side-swiped about 5 times due to folks just not being able to drive in a straight goddamn line.

What the FUCK is going on here? We've got to fuck up was used to be the somewhat enjoyable wide-open drive home now, too? It's not enough that we rubber-neck and ass-rape folks in the daylight during rush hour?

Sure, back in "the day" (4-5 years ago), there'd be the occasional asshole drunk or dickhead driver. On a weekend. At 2am. Not in the middle of the week at freakin' midnight. And this wasn't the MAJORITY.

Oy vey, this is all making my mind deteriorate, I swear.

Recording This Weekend

Excited to go back into the torture chamber...I mean, recording studio, to record a 3-song EP of new material. I'm pretty sure I'm going to be adding on a 10" tom to my current Vikki Foxx-wannabe set-up of the basic 4-piece rock kit with horizontal cymbals. Still got to keep the ride cymbal in that majestic sweet spot though; I think I have the hardware that can facilitate this.

For the first time in forever, might actually burn some calories parking my car outside the garage and dicking around with various set-ups and tune prior to going in. All professional-like!

This is the first time I'll be able to finally use my bitchin' new Zildjian K Hybrid splash. I can think of a few places where that's going to work tastefully. I hope. Plus, Frankie's going to be working his Frankie magic, so I'm confident we'll come out with another pretty bitchin' product I can be proud of. I'm old, and this is my first time, like, releasing something that I'm actually really, really proud of. I can go on about the lads I'm blessed to play with but I don't want to give away how sensitive and sweet I truly can be. It'll tarnish my image. Heh. Yeah.

I might also go completely out of control and bring back my Dave Weckl Sabian China crash, but this bothers the brand-loyal OCD in me a bit. Might have to reel it in and draw the line there. I don't want another producer telling me it sounds equal to a guitar out of tune again. I might just lose my mind completely and I'm truly wondering who will take care of me in the "home" I'm destined to be shipped to someday...

Love you and thank you for reading, as always! xo






No comments:

Post a Comment